Monday, June 7, 2010

6/6-6/7/10

So, i don't want to talk about yesterday. Haha.

FIRST DAY OF SERVICE AT PITTSBURGH PROJECT!
I'll be quite frank...I thought I was going to hate this place. And.......I don't. Started off today with our weekly morning meetings downtown...at 8am. What a way to start off the week! I had numerous cups of coffee, which I can safely say is a new routine for me. One that will surely be proactive. Then, we were off! Of course, Amanda (my co-service member) couldn't find her car in one of the 4 car garages in the 1 block. Though, we ended up finding it in time (I didn't say good time). No, it didn't stop there. No...it just wouldn't be an entertaining blog if it did ;)
So, we got lost trying to find the North Side. And Amanda needed to get some gas, so we stopped at this BP in a pretty ......shady area. Thus, Amanda got gas, as I proposed to ask for directions. So I continued to find someone who kindly told me to (exactly..) "oh..uh.... go there....turn around...follow that uh...highway.....then you wanna look for uh...that uh, west bridge over there...and...then...you'll be in the North Side." I can't imagine why this guy works at a BP gas station....
So, following the meticulous directions I was given, I proceeded outside to where I crossed this other worker...and...well....heres how it went:
Worker: "You all set, son?"
Me: "uh...well, ...just tryin to get to the North Side"
Worker: "The North Side?!?! Why the hell you going over there?"
Me: *points to t-shirt that says Pittsburgh Project* "I'm serving over there"
Worker: "ohh... well...what the hell you doing over here?!"
Me: "Well, evidently.....we're lost"
Worker: "Alright...well you really shouldn't be stopping around here, especially with that lady friend *points to Amanda sitting in the car*... Now, you go around this road, and you'll want to take McKees Rock bridge, that will follow you right into the North Side"
Me: "ok, great thanks a lot"
Worker: "Hey...you want my number incase you get lost?"
Me: "Sure........."
Worker: "Alright ***-***-****...and my name is ..Joe today. Now don't you come back here, you hear? ESPECIALLY with your lady friend!"

haha...it was epic. We finally arrived to the Project, an hour later. Orientation went GREAT, I am sooooooooooo pumped for this summer. I can't wait to get started. I will create 6 different curriculum plans for 6th-8th graders that are incorporated with the Urban farming. Lunch was provided by the Nuns who are neighbors to the church. Don't hate--it was delicious :) For the rest of the day, we got the garden ready to plant by pulling all the weeds out and such, and then had a Farmers Market training meeting with community volunteers who will help us when we put up the local Farmers Market.
All in all, I'm glad i gave this a shot! I feel I am REALLY going to like this summer. it's a great program. And though it may be incorporating some religious aspects in here and there throughout the schedule, I really don't mind. Today when me and Amanda went to the community meeting, we did a mini Worship time where we sang like 5 songs. And they were pretty cool pop-sounding songs.
This summer will be great. I'm not letting anything stopping me. My attitude towards this has turned around, and I'm so glad!
Tomorrow is a long day 10-7! Gotta go get some sleep!

1 comment: