Monday, June 28, 2010

6/28/10

Today I had the worst classes ever. I'm not sure why they show any respect to me. I'm not sure if it is something I am doing...or not doing. I just don't know anymore. I felt absolutely horrible today. 8th grade was bearable, but still pretty rude most of the time. 7th grade was worse with an attitude to do nothing at all, and then there was 6th grade. I'm sorry to say.....but it was a class straight from hell. No no no, i am NOT saying they were from hell....but it was a class from hell. Haha. Funny stuff aside, I was incredibly drained after those classes. I had to reflect on what the hell happened. Why was today so exhausting and why did today go horrible wrong? I never wanted to do what I had to do at the end of the 6th grade class. I told myself I won't do this, but I had to. I had a respect talk with them. Not just any respect talk. I had to tell them my true emotions of the frustration that I have suppressed as I struggle to talk over them again and again and again. I told them "I was never forced to come here. I chose to come here because I wanted to help kids. I am not getting paid a generous amount of money to stay here. I moved here to pittsburgh because I wanted to help you guys. From day 1 when you guys came in here, I have got nothing but disrespect and negative attitude from you all. I don't know your home situation and I'm not going to ask or assume anything about that. But when you come into my classroom, I am going to expect that you Respect yourself, others, and me. I don't care if you dont like others or if you dont like me or this class. I don't care. But keep that to yourself, because all I am asking from you right now is some simple respect from you guys. Ever since you guys came through that door, I have done nothing but give my absolute respect to you all!!! Why is that so hard to ask in return? Next week, I want to see a new attitude and level of respect. It shouldn't be that hard because you guys are starting at Zero respect. Have a good week."

I thought this day couldn't get worse. I was wrong. Very wrong :) Me, Amanda, and a VISTA AmeriCorps member all went out into the community to spread word about the Community Farmers Market this thursday. We were off to a great start. I really love how the community knows about the Pittsburgh Project and know what good work we do. They all smile when I tell them where I am from, and I can see they are no longer skeptical about who is at their front door, and they open their door all the way to hear what I have to share with them. It was a great feeling. I really enjoyed going out into the community and really interacting with them face-to-face. We moved along quite smoothly. Then....I got to this weird house. From the sidewalk, you had to walk down about 10 or more steps, then turn right, go through the gate and there is the front door. So I proceeded and knocked on the door like any other house I approached in the neighborhood. I quickly had a chilling feeling this place wasn't good. I'd say it started with a fierce bark from a dog inside. Discouraged by this threatening bark and growl, I start to head back towards the gate. Just then, I hear the door open and the noise level elevate. I quickly turn around and there is this middle aged, white, heavy set guy peaking out the door with this huge pitbull/rotweiler mix raging to escape the house. I very briskly explain i'm from the Pittsburgh Project and spreading the word on our Farmers Market. I apologize for the disruption and excuse myself to leave so quickly. Just as I take a step back, i see the owner struggle to hold the collar of the dog. People....the look in this dog's eyes was as if he hasn't seen meat in months. He was ready to be released from all hell. Of course, the raging monster gets out of the control of the owner and as I try to make my run for my life, before I know it, I have a mean, angry, vicious machine clawing, jumping and scratching me. This dog was on a mission. He was jumping all over me. I could not bring myself to run out of the gate and up the stairs. What seemed like an hour of fighting off the dog, whether it be kicking or pushing it off, the owner miraculously gets ahold of the dog. At this point I somehow make my way up the stairs where Amanda and John have arrived after sprinting of hearing the sounds of the dog and my cry for help. I was shaking uncontrollably, dazed in a shock. My face was described as an extremely pale grey,almost green complexion. After sitting down, and hearing apologies from the owner, I reach for my small first aid kit I carry around in my pocket. Because I am such an awesome AmeriCorps, I always thought I should be prepared if anything happens........like if I get attacked by a rotweiler. So I start to clean my injury with antiseptic wipes and whatnot. We make our way back to the Project where we just catch the nurse as she was leaving in her car. She graciously took me back into the building to clean me up more and send me off to the hospital to get a tetanus shot. Let me tell you a few things about this hospital. For one, they had some pretty nice and funny people working there. Two, the doctor decided he would humor us and scrub the life out of my wound. And I mean he scrubbed that. I think the scrubbing might have hurt worse....no wait.....it did hurt worse than the actual attack. But whatever, I'll trust the guy with a Ph.D. A tetanus shot and some discharge papers later, I was off and running like new.
Needless to say, I have some words and medical bills for that dog owner. Learn how to control your raging monster. Best part of it all...he told me "I'm sorry....hes never acted like this before." Really?! Because I find it just a little hard to believe when all I did was knock on your door and your animal acts like I'm a prized feast. Mr. dog-owner, you are damn lucky I was not a small child. Animal control is on their way to your door and something will be done about your beast or your ownership. It was just uncalled for and it is just plain common sense to restrain your animal, especially if it is uncontrollable like that. If your dog is not up on his shots, you (and your wallet) are going to be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment