Tuesday, June 22, 2010

6/21/10

The Children's smiles glow ear to ear like the blazing sun. They are attentive and eager to hear what we have to say. I can see in their eyes that they are passionate to do anything and are willing to do as we instruct. As I continue with my lesson, a soft breeze flows through our unique classroom outside and the kids raise their hands with prompting questions that-------wait. you really don't think this is how my first day went, do you? Ha....if only my friends. I just had to share my dream with you ;)
Now...let's hear it for our friend, Reality. The start of the day was.... rude. Arrived in the 'burgh quietly at 1am. The moon was still shining quite bright and the temperature was amazingly welcoming. A good few hours of sleep and I'm up at 6:30 to travel to beautiful downtown Pittsburgh for the weekly monday meeting. I'm not going to say it was a bit of a waste of time for an hour......no, i change my mind, it was in my opinion. Nevertheless, I made my way back to the neighborhood in which I call home. My neighborhood here is nestled with porch drug dealers, aimlessly walking children, loud voices, and plenty of vacant homes in which will, if haven't already, turn into crack houses or whore houses, and as bad as it sounds, we cannot blind ourselves from the truth. As we walk into the landscaped classroom, we catch the 2nd class of Amanda's day. They are 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders that....well....to say the least, inattentive. Can you blame them? This was unsurprisingly a recurring theme throughout the elementary youth. The time allotment was ridiculous. Scheduled, we had 45 minutes with each class. Sadly, we had much less. It must be a combination of other teachers just getting the hang of time management and youngsters taking their sweet time walking over. The class time allowed only for a name awareness activity and a brisk tour of the garden classroom. This tour was often sidetracked by children picking handfuls (not to mention mouthfuls) of blueberries, enough to make Violet Beauregarde jealous (if you don't get it, google her. I refuse to explain my jokes).
Then there came my middle school classes. Interestingly, they were quite amazing. All three classes were sometimes challenging to sustain attention, but once I had it in my hands, they were all mine and we had some wonderful discussions. I was very pleased with my classes. The only issue that probably frustrated me the most is timing, once again. One class was 30 minutes late (mind you, for a 45 minute class). To have to crush a 45 minute curriculum into 10-15 minutes is... exasperating. Again, Lord-willing, the teachers will be more on time next week. We can only wait and see.It's so nice to sit down at the end of the day and just............relax. To reflect on the day. What went well? What could have gone better?
This week we have 270 service campers that stay in our guest building. When they are released into our commons area.....it is nothing but a zoo. Tonight we had karaoke and ice cream. All I will say is, I could do without the Karaoke. Just like when the classes go away, it is peaceful and bliss when the service campers go to bedtime. That is...until the staff here break out how to have a damn good time ;) They can play a mean game of four square down here. Just being with these people and hanging out with the staff is great. I am so glad I decided to come here. I couldn't regret anything about this place. I enjoy having them as friends, roommates, colleagues, and also for some of them, mentors. I feel blessed to have been placed here and to have met so many great people. I'm really going to miss them after this summer. I know it, and its only been a couple weeks. Until then, good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment