Thursday, June 3, 2010

6/3/10

Today we went to the Ropes Course! It was a really great experience, I enjoyed every minute! We did a ton of team-building exercises. Then at the end, was finally the High Ropes. There was a net climbing activity, a wall climbing activity, Zip Line, vertical playground, tandem climbing activity and then a huge telephone pole you climb up, stand on the very top of it, and jump all you can in the air to touch a suspending ball. I did the tandem climbing one. Very very challenging.

After the Ropes Course, It was time for me to move into the Pittsburgh Project (or the "project" as I will refer to it as). Of course I was nervous and anxious on the way here. How couldn't I be. I had dinner, which was ok. Moved into my room. This is so much like a college dorm. Girls on one floor, boys on another. Dorm-style rooms. 3 bunk beds in one room (but only 4 of us occupy the room), and we get our own bathroom in the room. For the whole night, I've been in the commons area. There is a big screen TV, 3 church pews for sitting, along with 10 picnic tables, 3 pool tables, 4 foosball tables, 2 ping pong tables, and 2 air hockey tables. There is also a kitchen for our use. There is free laundry. I'll be honest. I hate it here right now. For now. I really have attempted to make friends. I try talking with people. I feel like they give me small talk and then have some excuse for running off. There are some people i smile at when we make eye contact, in hopes of starting a conversation, but they give me that fake half-ass smile back and keep walking. What do I have to do, other than give it more time. I'm not sure, but I know I'm not comfortable here. At all. Tomorrow I'm on my own in the morning figuring out where the hell to go to catch a bus into downtown. At this point, I really could care less if I will be late tomorrow morning. It sucks to have apathy at this point, but living this sanctum of a place. We'll see how this goes.

2 comments:

  1. Not gonna lie... I'm one of those people you speak of when you try to start a conversation. Everybody is just as nervous as you are (I know I would be). That's just their way of dealing with it. A really bad attempt at being polite, but then removing themselves from the situation. You just got there! Give it a couple weeks and you'll have friends that you wondered how you ever lived without. I promise :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gotta agree with Brianna on that!! :D just don't forget your BFFs back here in the 'zoo when you make all your new friends over there :)

    ReplyDelete